Thursday, November 3, 2011

From the Snack Aisle: doo-dads

doo-dads
Company: Nabisco
Years: Late 60's-90's

 Nabisco - Doo Dads Introduction magazine ad - close-up - 1966
Image from Jason Liebig

Another great Nabisco Snack Mix that people seem to fondly remember is doo dads. It was a snack made up of 5 different parts: Toasted peanuts, pretzels, rice squares, wheat squares and cheese Tid-Bit Crackers (which were so popular you could buy Tid-Bits by themselves).
I know it sounds like Chex Mix, but as it turns out, it was nothing even close, so much that if you even compare them to an avid doo-dad lover you will get beaten. They are nothing alike. doo dads are 100X better (or so I've been told).
Once a snack staple starting in the late 60s, they really became a childhood favorite of everyone in the 70's/80's. In the 90's, as sales stared to slip due to the influx of chips/crackers/snacks that were in the market, doo dads tried out some new flavors hoping to bring them back to life, but the as the 90's came to a close so did doo dads. (though I have heard people say they lasted into the early 2000's....if anyone can confirm that let me know).

90's "Flavor" box (Cheddar and Herb) - photo by ManKatt
late 1980s Doo-Dads Snack mix

I remember eating them as a kid in the 80's, but I don't have the same connection that a lot of people seem to have - eating them while playing board games with the family...snacking on them during long car rides....sharing a box with dad while watching football on Sundays.....doo dads were a popular snack that many people trace back to their youth.

Sadly, they are now gone. Will they ever return from extinction? People have been trying to get Nabisco to relaunch them for years now, but we will have to wait and see if doo-dad nation gets their prayers answered.

Oh, and if you turn the box upside down, it looks like "spap oop". I've seen lots of people make this observation, so flipping the box must have been a regular occurrence for kids in the 70's and 80's.

Nabisco - Doo Dads snack mix box - 1976
image by Jason Liebig

28 comments:

  1. Nabisco, please please please bring these back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please! Chex Mix isn't the same.

      Delete
    2. doo-dads were the best. Cheez-It Snack mix is killer though, and has a VERY similar flavor & texture. The Chex Bold and Spicy is also not bad....got the worcestershire sauce flavor. The Cheez Its are just awesome though.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. The 100 Cal Ritz Snack Mix is the closest I can get to my beloved Doo Dads, bring them back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I last bought Doo Dads around 2004. I bought the last 6 boxes on the shelf (Clio, MI). I may be wrong about the exact year, but it was definitely in the 2000's.

    Definitely a different flavor than Chex Mix. The flavoring was more intense in a great way. With a choice between the two, I would choose Doo Dads every time. I really hope that they do come back eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chex mix sucks. Bring back doo dads

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were a millionaire, I would pay nabisco to bring back Doo Dads. The number 1, best snack food anyone can have.Doo Dads! WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO NABISCO? YOU NEED MONEY? PETITIONS? BOYCOTT? Doo Dads will be your number one seller. Make a smart move Nabisco! Lets get Doo Dads back on the shelves, or at least available thru internet sales... I miss Doo Dads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nabisco's new brown rice and sweet potato triscuits in the sweet onion flavor reminded me of my favorite childhood snack... I'm writing Navaisco a letter tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to eat doodads when i would come home from school in the early to mid 90's. They were nothing like the Chex mix stuff they sell now. Bring them back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Best snack mix ever. I wrote Nabisco back in the mid-2000s and they replied saying that times moved on and interests changed, hinting that they moved to a "healthier" product line. I hope they bring them back but I doubt we'll see it. Internet sales would be an interesting idea...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO WISH THEY WOULD BRINGS THESE BACK I HAVNT FOUND ANYTHING ON THE MARKET LIKE IT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote to them and they said that it was not a good seller. Think if everyone that loves it wrote maybe they might consider bringing them back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, miss them very much. I recall the box being blue and white. I also miss Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doo Dads were the best, no comparison. The original will always win in my book. Why can't they bring them back????? You are right, you can't even compare the other chex mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ritz 100 calorie packs are the secret to getting close to DooDads. Believe it or not...I truly think its the secret doodads comeback. It doesnt have the tidbits. Instead its like a cheeze it...But it has the same texture as i remember doodads to have..(slightly powdery) The pretzel sticks are the THIN pretzel sticks. The seasoning is VERY close in comparison. Check it out! It sucks to have a little packet of it at a time but to bring back that slight nostalgia, i have found thats the closest we may ever get.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These were the best...Chex mix is sooooooooo not even a comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I remember eating DooDads on the couch with my dad back in the early 80s. Chex mix, even what I make homemade, does not come close. I just texted my husband to pick me up Ritz 100 calorie snack packs. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These were a favorite in our house; no get together was complete without them. I can remeber eating them at lunch at school from a little plastic fold top snack bag! Definitely would love to see these brought back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur 100%. Loved this mix of snacks. Sadly Cheese Tid-Bit crackers died around the same time as Doo-Dads and whatever happened to Planters Cheez Balls? Yum

      Delete
  18. I would turn the entire shelf of boxes upside-down so it would read, "spap oop."

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first time I saw the "spap oop" was in a Rich Hall (the Sniglets guy) segment on HBO's "Not Necessarily the News", touring a grocery store and pronouncing various products upside-down. It was either that show, or that one year Rich Hall was on Saturday Night Live. That had to have been some time between 1983-1985.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had the idea to google "doo dads", hoping maybe they were still available in another part of the country. So sad they are gone! I am actually sitting eating Chex Mix and was thinking about how great the old Doo Dads were.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved these things my mom and I would eat them all the time, I remember she would say Joy why don't you go up to the store and get us some doo dads.. wish they would bring them back. I thought about getting recipe and trying to make them myself although I'm sure they will never taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I miss the heavenly taste of the original doo dads! I was even a little disappointed when they first changed the taste around the time the packaging changed for the second time. I'd damn near empty the shelf when going to the store. Chex Mix is okay, but doesn't shine a light on doo dads. Nothing comes close. I'd love to get my hands on the secret formula haha and make my own! I hate to say it, but I believe they're gone forever because I don't know WHO Nabisco is anymore. Just like everybody else that makes stuff that folks really like........damn sell outs!

    ReplyDelete