Friday, December 2, 2011

From the Snack Aisle: 4 Minute Fudge

4 Minute Fudge
Company: Salada/Kellogg's
Years: 1974-Early 80's


What do we want? FUDGE! When do we want it? NOW!!!!

Seriously, was there actually a time when people were saying "Man, I could go for some fudge right now, but I don't even have 5 minutes to wait for it....I wish someone would come out with a product that could satisfy my fudge urges."

Now, I'm not sure if Salada is the original company and was later bought out by Kelloggs or what (as you can see below by the coupon), but as far as I can tell, it's a miracle this product lasted in stores for more then 4 minutes.


Here are some product reviews from the Lakeland Ledger, November 12, 1975 :

"I sure didn't have fudge in 4 minutes, I had a soupy mess" - Karel Hammer

"The texture is not smooth .... it takes 15 to 20 minutes to make this fudge, despite what the label says. My Grandchildren did not like the candy, they said it was too grainy." -Doratea Addison


So if this stuff was so bad, why was it still being sold until at least 1980? Did they reformulate the recipe? Or are people just suckers for fast fudge, even if its not fabulous fast fudge.

This product is gone, and this one might be forgotten too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

18 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious what this soupy mess really tasted like. It looks so good on the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This product got me and my roommate through college. As a busy college student who has 5 minutes to bake anything? ... not me, but I could always carve out 4 minutes to create this delicious masterpiece. I tip my hat Salada; you will ever be in my heart... and around my waistline.

    SA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually loved it...I got the maple flavour. It was soft but firm ...I would love to have now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember making this at sleepovers as a kid. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hooked on this candy. I have hunted it for years at Christmas time and was never told it was no longer being made. Would buy it in a heartbeat. boo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my dad buying cases of these fudge kits when a local grocery store closed. Also Appian Way pizza kits and instant apple crisp kits. My siblings and I ate them all. The fudge was my favorite. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t thought of Appian Way pizza in forever!!! I loved it !!

      Delete
  7. I don't know if it was this same brand, but my mom bought 4-minute fudge right into the 90s. I loved it! I wish I could have it again. I liked the texture and the flavour. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEST fudge ever!!! Wish they would bring it back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all-time favourite fudge as a kid in Canada...I remember the box from Kellogg's. Maple was incredibly delicious, not soupy at all, ever. You had to bring it to a boil and it poured beautifully into a white plastic tray. Perfect every single time! I still crave this fudge! I'd so do anything to get it back on the market. It ruined me for any other fudge after that. It absolutely melted in the mouth!! I'd pay big time for the product ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this fudge. I can still remember the taste
    Wish it was available

    ReplyDelete
  11. This fudge was the BEST! The consistency was perfect, and it was so quick and easy. I googled this hoping I could score some, somewhere, somehow, but I see it's relegated to my memory forever. Anyone who created a "soupy mess" from this mix must not have been able to follow directions. The product produced ideal fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg, I loved this fudge so much! Made it all the time as a kid...sure wish you could still get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother used to make this fudge in the sixties and it was fabulous..one of the best tasting I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Canadian here, this fudge was fabulous creamy and never grainy. I emailed the Company years ago asking what happened to it, they replied that it had sold to Sherriff and they discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to get this every year when it came out just before Thanksgiving. It was the best and easiest to make fudge I ever had. There hasn't been anything comparable since tit went away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to get this every year in the fall when it came into the grocery stores. I always made it for my Sons school Christmas party. It was always a big hit. LOVED IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete