Thursday, May 2, 2013

From the Snack Aisle: Pudding Roll-ups

Product: Pudding Roll-ups
Company: Betty Crocker
Years: Mid 80's




You know what sucks about pudding? I mean, besides being stalked constantly by Bill Cosby to make sure I'm eating it? Yep, the big, bulky plastic cups (or for you older folks, the old metal cans with finger slicing lids). The world needed an easier way to transport pudding from point A to point B, and sometimes to Point Q. Once in a while, to point G.
Leave it to Betty Crocker, who's slogan back in the 80's was "WOW! You F#@king Kids Will Eat ANYTHING!", to develop the ultimate snack treat that absolutely nobody was asking for. That's right, the long forgotten Pudding Roll-ups. It's like pudding, only flatter. Just put it in your pocket and go. Brilliant!



It was the next logical step after the success of Fruit Roll-ups, so you can't really blame them for trying. Pudding Roll-ups came in 3 flavors, Milk Chocolate, Butterscotch, and Chocolate Fudge, and fittingly, sales for all three were flat. So flat that they only were around for a few years (87/88) before their demise.

I'd love to find an actual box from these, so if anyone hasn't cleaned out their cupboards in 25 years and have a box sitting near the back, please contact me.



3 comments:

  1. I remember these reasonably well.

    They naturally didn't taste as chocolaty as the pudding, but were okay,especially the fudge ones.


    "Yep, the big, bulky plastic cups (or for you older folks, the old metal cans with finger slicing lids)."

    Hey now, canned pudding was the greatest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to decide if I made these up!! So glad to read that they were a real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought they were simply called "chocolate roll ups" and wondered if they really had existed, because I have a vague childhood memory of a brown, chocolate flavored fruit roll up. Thank you for this!! Maybe I'm not nuts!!

    ReplyDelete