Friday, January 23, 2015

From the snack aisle: Cajun Spice Ruffles

Product: Cajun Spice Ruffles
Company: Frito-Lay
Years: 1986-???



Who remembers these? I sure as heck didn't, when alert reader Gerald Logue emailed me and said "What about Cajun Spice Ruffles?", to which I was like "Cajun Spice Ruffles? Now you're just making stuff up!", to which Gerald was all like "Un-uh - they're real!", and I was like "No they're not"................this went on for days.
Finally, I remembered Gerald had said something in the initial email about Justin Wilson, the Cajun Cook, so I looked it up.........and holy s%*t, I found the commercial on Youtube, and bam, I remembered. (Well, I remembered the commercial, anyway....) Justin Wilson was the pitch person for these delicious, Cajun flavored chips.

Justin Wilson was from Southern Louisiana. He was a cook, a recording artist, a writer, a humorist, and best known for his catch phrase: "I gar-on-tee!



In the mid 80's, Cajun cooking was all the rage (much in the way Sriracha is today). Every brand of chips and snacks around this time had to have a cajun flavor, and Ruffles had a hit on their hands with their version. Problem is, like every other fad, people lost interest pretty quick, and these chips were discontinued after only a few years.

I do now remember liking these back in the day....I've always been a sucker for new potato chip flavors, and Cajun Spices have that kick I dig.

So if someone starts a petition to Ruffles to bring these back, I'd gladly stand in line to sign it.



I gar-on-tee!*


*Yep. I went there. It's been a long week, cut me some slack. He's dead, I hope he doesn't sue me for catchphrase infringement. Is that even a thing? I mean, I could spell it a little different, then it should be ok, right? Right???

3 comments:

  1. For a second I read that as "Cajun Space Ruffles". Given the enthusiasm for "space" anything in the 50s and 60s, I could see it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they do have a petition to bring these back, please link to it, I would sign it, and I would be willing to bet there would be other people here who would, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why the company would get rid of these is a mystery to Me! Loved these, wish they would come back.

    ReplyDelete