Wednesday, February 15, 2012

From the Cereal Aisle: Crazy Cow

Product: Crazy Cow cereal
Company: General Mills
Years: 1977-?




If you ever see a Crazy Cow, turn the other way, and run. You don't want to mess with them. Hundreds of people are severely injured or killed every year by Crazy Cows. I have no facts to back that up, so don't ask for them. But my mom says I'm a pretty trustworthy person, so it's cool.

However, if you ever see a box of Crazy Cow cereal on the shelves, it means that General Mills is bringing back their hit cereal from the late 70's, and you should purchase that box right away. Take it home, pour yourself a bowl, and laugh with delight as your milk turns chocolatey brown (or pink for you Strawberry fans.) Then, enjoy.

Crazy Cow hit the shelves in late 1976/early 1977 and took the cereal aisle by storm. The gimmick? General Mills took your basic Kix and covered them in a powder (Chocolate or Strawberry) that dissolved in milk and left you with a sweet flavored bowl of deliciousness. And who cares if there was no real chocolate or Strawberries in them (as the box proclaimed "artificially flavored".)

Another cool thing about Crazy cow was the box, as they perfectly captured the dangers of a Crazy Cow in their Cartoon rendering: Wears a hat? Crazy. Stands on it's hind legs? Crazy. Has teeth that could gnaw off your face? Creepy.
And Crazy.

Sadly, the cereal was just a short lived fad and didn't last in stores, but the memories still remain in our hearts. We miss you, Crazy Cow.


Crazy Cow Newspaper Ad 1977





6 comments:

  1. My grand mother kept this cereal in the house for me at least a box a week/loved this cereal. Great memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ate one bowl. Refused to eat the rest. Bottom of bowl was full of sugar after adding milk 3 times!I still miss it though, was so ready to eat Crazy Cow the week it hit the cereal isle! What great times discovering things in childhood. Great times~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't begin to count the times I heard my older sister say to my nephew..."No, I'm not buying you crazy cow!" It was doomed from the start. The FDA regarded it with folded arms from the day it hit the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate this cereal when I was a kid. I wish they still sold it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man! Used to love this cereal! Bringing back my childhood. Fortunate for us, Cocoa Puffs took the chocolate spot. Unfortunately, there hasn't been another strawberry cereal since the short-lived Strawberry Shorrcake cereal.

    ReplyDelete