Tuesday, February 14, 2017

From the Frozen Food Aisle: Toasta Pizzas

Product: Toasta Frozen Pizza
Company: Toasta Food Company
Years: 1971-?

So here's a product that I can't find much about, at all. I found this add while browsing some old newspapers. It seems that in the early to mid 70's there was a boom for at home personal pizza or some variation of them. There were Nabisco Poppins, Kellogg's had their Presto Pizzas, Buitoni had their Toasterinos, but here is one that I can only assume was a company (unsuccessfully) jumping on the bandwagon (though seeing that these were from the early 70's and the others came a little later, maybe this product was just ahead of it's time instead.)

Like I said, I don't know much about this product, except that TV Host and actor Art Linkletter was signed on as a celebrity sponsor of them, and even stared in a TV commercial for them (which I could not locate.....yet......)

Anyone remember these?


10 comments:

  1. I think part of the problem with some brands, at least, was that as the fats from the cheese and toppings liquified, it could drip down onto the heating coils and cause small fires. That, plus the arrival of the microwave as a superior pizza-heating option, relegated them to history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be absolutely right. That was the first thing I thought of... runny sauce with melted cheese in a toaster.

      Delete
  2. I loved those Buitoni toaster pizzas. they discontinued them years ago but I've wrote them a few times begging them to bring them back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a informative article about Frozen Food Aisle. buy grocery food online with wide range of needs and products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the commercial - it had a goofy jingle, but I haven't see it surface on youtube. It had a strange artificial taste - but I ate them. The sausage flavor was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ***DO*** remember these...the instructions said you had to stick with the light setting of the toaster, watch the food, and not overcook. As a result, they were always rather cold. I agree with Diva KGB that the sausage were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a comic strip version of a Toasta Pizza ad. Man I forgot how much Art Linkletter hawked stuff. http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2017/12/cassons-illness.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your article so amazing. I recommended you to read about our blog in Ayam bangkok ciung wanara. Thanks for your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just seems dangerous once it starts to melt, but I do remember, and still miss tremendously miss, Buitoni Toaster Pizza. They were an enclosed pastry with pizza filling. Sounds similar to any toaster-pocket kind of item today, but the taste has never been duplicated. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for proving such a kind information, its means a lot to me. Also check customer satisfaction survey

    ReplyDelete