Sunday, September 25, 2011

From the Candy Aisle: Bonkers!

Bonkers Candy
Company: Nabisco
Year: Mid 80's

Life Savers, Inc - Bonkers! strawberry  fruit candy package wrapper - 1984
Photo Courtesy of Jason Liebig

"Bonkers - the candy that will cause giant mutant fruits to fall from the sky and crush you." Or at least that is what 10 year old me was hoping would happen. I gave them to my teachers, my parents, my older sisters, and nothing. No giant Fruit. No screams of pain as produce crushed their bones and internal organs. Only a pleasant smile as they enjoyed their candy, and a quick nod or sometimes, a "thank you". So Bonkers always left a bitter taste in my mouth. Not the actual taste, as they were quite fruity (they came in flavors like Grape, Orange, Strawberry, Watermelon, and I think there was even Chocolate), but the bad taste left by the fact that it was blatant false advertising. Lies. Boldfaced lies.

Anyway, Bonkers was a squareish candy that came in a wrapped row, much like Starburst, only they had a fruity outside and filling that was even fruitier. Apparently, there is a knockoff "Bonkers" candy available today that has no relation to the great 80's candy, so I can safely say this one is extinct.

5 comments:

  1. I remember n love these!! Theyre gone?!?!? Noooooo!

    On a side note who remembers fruit by the foot??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonkers are being made again! I guess that means they need to be taken off the aisle here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonkers were the SHIT!!! "Some people think it's gum.... They know it's candy now! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a good site post without fail. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am impressed that there is so much information about this subject that has been uncovered and you’ve defeated yourself this time, with so much quality. Good Works! Please go to site download tik tok videos

    ReplyDelete